Tuesday 23 November 2010

ALBUM REVIEW: Nicki Minaj- 'Pink Friday'


The wait is finally over, the highly anticipated album from the artist labeled by some as the soon to be 'biggest female rap star ever' has arrived, but does 'Pink Friday' live up to the hype?

I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I listened to. On first impression the album is a lot calmer than I thought it would be. I was looking forward to the witty flows and crazy English accent but, what I actually got was a very reflective and honest 14 track LP.

'I'm The Best' sets the scene nicely as Nicki talks about her humble start and her musical journey to the present day. Other songs that filled me with hope were; 'Romans Revenge' with Eminem, 'Did It On 'Em', 'Save Me' with its drum & bass sample, 'Moment For Life' w/ Drake, 'Check It Out' with Will.i.am and 'Blazin'' with Kanye West. After that, I pretty much lost interest.

I guess one of the things I could say is that Nicki does prove those who said she was one dimensional wrong with some very open songs about herself and the feelings and emotions she's goes through as a women in the industry.

The other thing I noticed was 'Your Love' is the only single she released to make it on to the album so, where's 'Massive Attack'?

Although it is a good album I don't think I'll be picking it up too often. Hopefully a few remixes surface on a re-release in the coming months. Although she will remain my favourite female MC (for the moment) this one just isn't for me!


I'm gonna have to give this one 2.5 out of 5.

2 comments:

  1. Where is Massive Attack? The dashed that track in the vault. It was terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your review - it's like something was missing from the album, but then again she needed to cater to all her fans including those from her 'old Nicki' days.

    I personally feel Nicki needs to be pushed harder to deliver great tracks - Kanye had to push her for her verse on Monster and I can't get enough of that verse!

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you think!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin