Last night we had the pleasure of being invited to the album playback for Ne-Yo's forthcoming new album, 'Libra Scale', at The Hospital Club, Covent Garden.
Ne-Yo himself hosted the event and told us the concept behind his fourth album; the album is based on a short story which he wrote. In short the story is about three rubbish cleaners, Clyde, Leroy and Jerome (who is played by Ne-Yo), who are given super powers by a mysterious man and they are known as The Gentlemen (very clever of Ne-Yo to continue his 'Year of The Gentleman t'heme).There's three rules that they must abide:
- They must protect the city
- They can't tell nobody about their powers
- They can't fall in love
The mysterious man re-appears as Jerome broke one of the rules and gives Jerome two options to choose from - he must kill Diamond Eye and Pretty Sinclair to make time reverse, or time is reversed and Pretty Sinclair lives, but Jerome must die.
This is the cliff hanger that Ne-Yo left us on.......urging us to want to know what happens next.....
Whilst telling the story, Ne-Yo played us six tracks off of 'Libra Scale':
- Champagne Life - represents the 'American Dream' that The Gentlemen are living. Listen here
- One In A Million - An addictive beat full of drums and base laced with Ne-Yo's signature voice. The track is based on how Jerome feels about Pretty Sinclair
- She Is -A guitar rifted track giving the track a mid tempo yet ballad feel at the same time. Represents when Jerome and Pretty Sinclair are falling in love
- Cause I Said So - An up-tempo club banger filled with funk and RnB. This is Diamond Eye's theme song.
- Beautiful Monster - Ne-Yo's current single. Represents Diamond Eye as she's evil but so beautiful you have to have her. Listen here
- What Have I Done - This track is very Michael Jackson-esque, reminds me of 'She's Out Of My Life' by MJ. The track represents when Jerome is down in the dumps about Diamond Eye/Pretty Sinclair.
This is definitely an album I'm looking forward to hearing!